Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Chandelier Saga

So, about six months ago while browsing through a Pottery Barn catalog I spotted their wine bottle chandelier. It was safe to say it was love at first sight.... However, the nearly $400 price tag was a little over our meek budget... What's a girl to do? The answer: Make it herself
(with her awesome boyfriend's help!)

Here's Pottery Barn's GORGEOUS Wine Bottle Chandelier that I am so in love with.

Ok, here's the part where Brandon interjects and explains he made it with some of my help, but it was my idea, so we both get some credit, right?

Isn't the finished project pretty sweet?!


So, now you're probably wondering how we did it, right? Take a deep breath, because here comes the tutorial!

To begin, we collected a bunch of wine bottles from the restaurant where I work and soaked them in hot, soapy water to remove the labels. After removing most of the label we finished them up with some Goof Off to make sure there was no sticky residue.

Next, we gathered up the tools we were going to need:

1.) A jigsaw to cut out larger portions of the frame
2.) A drill and drill bits for the holes (may vary based on bottle size) we used 1 1/8" and 1 1/4" for where the bottles would go, and a 3/8" for the hole for the light kit.
3.) A tape measure
4.) A fine-point sharpie
5.) Sand paper
6.) Sanding file (the metal file for heavy duty sanding)
7.) Retaining ring pliers to attach the rotor clip rings (AKA retaining rings)
8.) A 12-18" piece of string

Next, we purchased the supplies we needed:

1.) An 18" round pine stool topper (around $20 or so at Lowes or Home Depot)
2.) A Lowe's light kit (around $5-$15 at Lowes or Home Depot)
3.) Eye-bolts to attach the chains to (we used 3)
4.) Chain to hang the chandelier (we had extra on hand from another fixture)
5.) A Ceiling medallion with a center ring to attach the chain (ours was around $5 at Lowes)
6.) 1 1/8" rotor clip rings (enough for 1 per bottle--we ordered 25 for around $4) found at MCMASTER.com--- search for "external retaining rings"
7.) 1 light bulb
8.) Primer and paint (had both on hand)

Note: We also had to buy a box kit because we did not previously have a ceiling fixture, but this is not reflected in the overall price of the chandelier.

1.) To begin building your chandelier, measure pine topper to find the center. This is where you will be drilling the hole for your light kit, so be sure to measure twice and cut once!


2.) Place a nail, pencil, or anything with a point in the center and attach your sharpie to a piece of string that has been measured to the desired radius for the center of the holes that will house the wine bottles. Then, trace a large circle around the edge of the frame.

3.) Next, begin placing bottles around the edge of the wooden frame centered on the line you have just drawn. Note: it is safest to do this on carpet since the domino effect tends to occur and clearly wine bottles like to shatter into a million little pieces when they hit kitchen counters!



4.) Now that you are safely working on the soft floor, continue moving bottles around the edge until they are in the desired positions with as many bottles on the frame as possible. Because bottle size varies, no particular number is "correct".


5.) Trace around a few bottles as they are placed upside down on the frame to get an idea for positioning. Once two or three are traced, remove all the bottles and only work with two bottles at a time, placing one bottle on the traced circle, and one next to it to be traced. This makes it go by a lot faster and saves you from breaking bottle after bottle.

6.) Now that everything is traced, measured, and ready to go, you can begin drilling. First, use a 1 1/4 inch drill bit to cut about 1/2 or 3/4 of the way through the pine frame. Careful not to go too deep because a smaller hole will be drilled within this hole to hold the bottle.


7.) Next, use the 1 1/8 inch drill bit to cut all the way through the center of the 1 1/4 inch holes--go slow to avoid mistakes!


8.) Then, cut out three larger holes using the jigsaw to lighten up the frame and to allow more light to move through. Brandon drew three free-hand, oval-shaped holes, and cut clean through.


9.) Because the pine frame tended to splinter, a lot of sanding must be done before paint. I began by using the metal file to tackle the really rough stuff and to correct imperfections from the jigsaw.

10.) Next, I moved on to more refined sandpaper to prep it for paint.

11.) I applied a coat of latex primer (what I had on hand) and after it dried I applied three coats of leftover paint from our bedroom ceiling (Valspar's Chocolate Pudding).

12.) Once it dried we screwed in three eye-bolts to hold the chains, being sure to center them around the frame so it is balanced when hung.

13.) Next, I installed the light kit by slipping it through the pre-drilled hole.

14.) I placed a bottle in each hole and used a rotor clip ring around the neck of each to hold it in place.



15.) Once secured, we added the chains and ran the wiring through the medallion to hang our fixture.
Note: Brandon wound up removing the bottles to hang it, but with two people to help you should be just fine leaving them attached.


16.) Attach the chains to the medallion and then attach the wiring following the instructions on the light kit and screw in your bulb! Tada! Your very own wine bottle chandelier!


So, what do you think of our new living room lighting? It may have taken us six months to get our act together to get it done, but it was well worth the wait!

57 comments:

  1. Really cute, and much better than the original! Handmade has a story, not a price tag. Love it, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome! It was the perfect thing to add a little spice to that corner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo, this is pretty! I am raking in ideas right now because we are renovating our lake house one penny at a time. (just came to you through knock off wood)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty! I think I would like it with blue or clear glass, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, this is awesome!! GREAT work!

    I want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work! I saw that chandelier, too and thought.."I could make that..." but haven't gotten around to it. Now if I ever do, I'll be glad to have your tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your blog and the lamp tutorial!

    Just went and read through the whole thing! Looks like you guys are making really great progress throughout your home.

    Good luck on the future projects, hope you have more giveaways! Was sad to see I missed some awesome pyrex!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much everyone for all the sweet comments and positive feedback. It's so nice to know other people enjoy our projects as much as we do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just came from Knock Off Wood and had to comment. THIS IS AMAZING! I am in awe of your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH MY WORD!!!!!! I love it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks awesome! I agree with Ana White, it means so much more to you when you've done it yourself! GREAT job to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is freaking great!!! Yeah for Pottery Barn inspiration without the heartstopping prices! You (and boyfriend!) did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job on your light fixture...and great tutorial. You make it looks so easy a Caveman could do it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! You did an AMAZING job! I bet if yours was the one in the PB catalogue, you would love it just as much - it looks exactly the same. Great job guys...you should be hugely proud of yourselves and it looks charming in the corner.

    xo Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just saw this over at Layla's, I love it!!! I told her I liked yours more :)
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi:
    I found you through The Lettered Cottage. I love your ingenuity in creating this fabulous chandelier! It's really wonderful. I've joined your "friends" list and will be back soon to explore.
    Blessings,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is amazing! Super job!

    xo Erin

    ReplyDelete
  18. Incredible!!! Thanks so much for sharing the details...frankly, I like your version better than the PB one! You rocked it!
    xoxo Beth

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is amazingly clever!! Wow, I'm so impressed. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome!!! I've been eying that one for awhile now too. I made a chandelier out of an antique broom holder and some forks and spoons. You can see it on my blog at www.juliejohnsonblog.blogspot.com.
    Looking forward to following you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW! you guys did a fabulous job!! I like yours better!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You nailed it - you should start selling, pick your color of
    wine bottles say - green, blue . . . whatever. Keep the creative
    juices flowing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. AMAZING! I linked you to my blog because I love what you guys did. Very impressive indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Really amazing. I think I like your version better than the Pottery Barn one!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome! I like this! Thanks for the instructions--I may have to copy you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm #60!! Found you through The Letter Cottage. I'll be checking in on your projects. You guys did a great job. Looking forward to more from you. Thanks for sharing.
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  27. love it! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Awesome project!
    Came over to see you from The Lettered Cottage!!
    Come visit sometime,
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is freaking FANTASTIC! Well done - I have been in love with that chandi for MONTHS!

    ReplyDelete
  30. great job!!! handmade comes from the heart; its priceless!!
    adding you to my faves. :)
    kim

    ReplyDelete
  31. Awesome job! Inspiring. Clear bottles I think would look awesome too!
    It would look great for a cottage! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. So great! I have been lusting after than chandelier but never thought I could afford. Now I can!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm going to a family reunion this summer. I have dibs on the wine bottles and corks. I might have enough to make your lamp when we're through!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Whoa... that looks AMAZING! I would love to link to this if you didn't mind. I'm super impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Rachel, link your little heart out lol! I'm all for it!

    Thanks again,
    Caitlin @ That House on the Corner

    ReplyDelete
  36. LOVE it!!! I've been plotting this myself; now I may really have to do it! I found you over on CSI, and this was just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I seriously admire you and your boyfriend... you both did a great job. I also found you over on CSI.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Fantastic job! I'm picturing this in our house with blue bottles. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for the amazing copy of the PB chandelier...I saw it in the catalog, and can't afford it,either...this gives me a great how to so I can make one, too, once I gather the wine bottles! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  40. THANK YOU! My husband will not tho. I have been searching and searching on how to make this because it is not longer available at PB! I am sooooo excited now!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Would you like to make another one and sell it? I would be willing to buy one!

    ReplyDelete
  42. This is absolutely amazing. I have been dying to buy the one from PB but that $400 price is just so much. I went back to look online and see if it "might" be on sale and because I have a 10% coupon and now I can't find it!!! I will pay you to make one for me :0)

    ReplyDelete
  43. I saw something similar in a Better Homes and Garden photo in an outdoor setting. I keep thinking of a wheel with spokes and how it might be used for the framework to attach the bottles. In the one I saw the bottles were attached with plastic ties from the hardware store. No holes to drill. I must try to go back and look again. Enjoyed pictures and how you developed idea together!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thank you so much for coming up with these plans! I have been wanting to make this to make over my table on my porch. Now I know what my husband will be doing on Father's Day...

    ReplyDelete
  45. I'd say it's more beautiful than the other one. And its special too because it is labored with love. Thanks for sharing the step-by-step ways to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  46. What type of light fixture did you use? Could you email me a photo? smokediver235@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hi! I would love one....do you take orders????? I would pay you to make one! Steph

    ReplyDelete
  48. What type of light is in each bottle?

    ReplyDelete
  49. I was inspired by your creation, and decided to build one myself. I used the same pine top and rotor clips, but I used a simple ceiling fan fixture for the light. I can't post a picture here, but I could send a picture if you're interested. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Just linked you for my first blog post!
    Great Tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  51. It was a great creation and marvelous,,,,,this can be very useful information for whoever use the chandeliers for lighting fixtures

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in at That House on the Corner! We appreciate all comments and although I cannot always respond to each one individually, I try my best!

Thanks again,
Caitlin @ That House on the Corner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails